[mythtv-users] OT: Spam?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jul 30 15:37:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 03:13:07PM +0300, Petteri Matilainen wrote:
> On 7/30/08, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Petteri Matilainen <pmatil at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Just received a mail from mythtv-users at mythtv.org, titled
> >> "[mythtv-users] Anjelina Jolie XXX Video Free." Why does mythtv list
> >> send spam? The mail says I have subscribed to MSN featured offers. I
> >> didn't know I did, and even if I had, this is clearly a virus-spam
> >> message. How to disable these in the future? List configuration
> >> doesn't say anything about this.
> >
> > Since you're using gmail, how about using the "Report Spam" button?
> > Youd don't even have to open the email.
>
> Thank you Phil, I know. Just wondering how these kind of messages come through.

They come through because spam filters occasionally leak, fercrissake.

And no, I wouldn't use the Report Spam button, unless you were pretty
certain that the effect of that would not be to convince gmail that
*the mailing list sender* is a spammer, which often happens.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)