[mythtv-users] DVB-S channel scanning gets stuck

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Tue Jul 29 11:03:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Andrew Williams wrote:

> It's almost along the same lines of
> the open Wifi argument, the signals are on my property and open so why
> can't I use them legally? Again, theft of services.

Well no, using a free wireless hotspot is not "theft of services" (and
yes, people _do_ provide legitimate free wireless hotspots).  The 802.11
protocol even provides a method of telling people whether you are
providing a free hotspot or are running a private network - the problem is
that some people set their router to advertise itself as a public network
and then complain when people use it as advertised.

If you're going to start saying that you need written permission to use
any services that are open to the public, I sure hope you got written
permission to access Google's web servers...

> as essentially you give them
> permission to store their equiment in your house. Check the VM T&Cs
> for the details.

I've not given them any explicit permission and their T&Cs do not apply
to those of us who have not signed a contract agreeing to the T&Cs.

All other service providers disconnect you when they no longer want to
provide services (telephone, ADSL, gas, electricity, water).  If Virgin
were really that bothered about it they would disconnect the cable TV too.
As it is, they continue to provide the PBS channels in the clear and rely
on encryption to restrict their other channels to subscribers.

(IANAL, of course).

  - Steve