[mythtv-users] Startup Frontend via SSH

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 29 03:50:08 UTC 2008

On 07/28/2008 07:13 PM, David Brieck Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On my system, the TCP and Unix-socket based connections for a given
>> DISPLAY have the same cookie value.  I don't know if that's just the way
>> I've configured X or if that's the way it's always supposed to be,
>> though.  :)
>>
>> However, I'd guess that's what causing the problem for you.  Perhaps
>> it's a new X configuration or new *buntu configuration for X.  Chances
>> are your local machine is using Unix sockets and the ssh session is
>> using TCP.
>>
>> Try:
>>
>> export DISPLAY="localhost.localdomain/unix:0"
>>
>> (or use mythfront/unix:0 ) in your script.
>>
> Thank you very much, this did the trick. It still won't work remotely
> like it used to, but I came home from work and tried this locally and
> it works like a charm. The most important thing is that the wife can
> restart the frontend when it crashes occasionally by herself. The
> "Help" button on my firefly works like a charm again!
>
> #!/bin/bash
> export DISPLAY="mythfront/unix:0"
> killall mythfrontend.real
> killall irexec
> nohup irexec&
> nohup mythfrontend&

What happens if you overwrite the TCP cookie to be the same as the Unix
socket cookie using:

xauth add `hostname`:0 \
`xauth list | awk '/unix:0/ { printf "%s %s\n", $2, $3 }'`

(that's all one command, with the \ serving as a line continuation
character--just in case the mail client messes it up)  Oh, and you may
need to do similar, but with "`hostname -s`" instead of "`hostname`",
depending on your system/network config.  If it works, you should only
need to run that command once per X session (or, better, modify your X
start script to set the token for TCP and Unix sockets).

I don't know if the change will "break" anything (i.e. cause X auth
failures for other programs), but it couldn't hurt to try it.  If you
find failures, just restart X (i.e. log out and back in).  It may just
be that your new system sets the auth token only for the Unix socket,
and the TCP values are garbage left from old authority files.  I'm sure
some *buntu expert could give you more info (with less guesswork).

Mike