[mythtv-users] Screen corruption with fglrx X driver

Eric (MythTV) eric-mythtv at skoozdag.com
Mon Jul 28 21:39:12 UTC 2008

Jason McMillon wrote:
> I am having the same problems as described above.  I am using a
> GIGABYTE GA-MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard which has an onboard ATI HD3200.
>
> I have seen other posts that indicate VideoOverlay should be on and
> OpenGLOverlay should be off.  Regardless, neither combination works
> for my frontend.
>
> However, I can get passed the garbled picture David posted above by
> doing what Eric suggested... setting the geometry for mythfrontend at
> the command line, eg:
>
>  mythfrontend --geometry 800x600
>
> Unfortunately, when I try to watch a recording this way, I get two
> duplicate videos... one right on top of the other.  Very strange....
>
> I am running it on a CentOS 64-bit system with everything up to date...

Jason:

I also had the issue with the duplicate videos.  The duplicate videos
one ontop of the other is an issue with the deinterlacer I was using at
the time.  Are you using Bob(2x)?  I got the same picture issue as you
described, two copies of the video, with Bob.  When I changed to a
different deinterlacer, it went away.  Play with your deinterlacers and
you should be able to get that issue to go away, at least.  I think I
ended up using Kernel, perhaps?  I cant remember... but I was able to
fix that issue, for sure.

Heres something else to try, for the screen garble running in full
screen mode.  I think it had something to do with when mythfrontend was
trying to use DRI.  Try turning DRI off in the xorg.conf file (not sure
the command, sorry, I just removed permissions to /dev/dri/video0 so
that mythfrontend couldnt access it), and the screen garble seemed to go
away.  I'm afraid not using DRI is why I was having screen tearing
issues -- not positive of that however -- but at least not using it
didnt garble the screen.

I'm pretty sure thats how I fixed it on my system, had to look back over
the notes I was taking at the time of all the different things I was
trying. :)

If you get the screen garble to go away, please report if you have any
issues with video tearing, with the HD 3200.  I'm curious to hear.

BTW, I have the same motherboard as you.  Well, almost.  Mines the DS3H.

Good luck...
--Eric