[mythtv-users] Startup Frontend via SSH

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 16:45:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> With "export DISPLAY=:0" being executed on the remote host, you won't
> want to (i.e. the magic cookies are set appropriately for the user
> starting X when X is started).
>
> Things that could cause this:
>    - using a different user to start X and to ssh
>    - having an invalid HOME (i.e. so the proper ~/.Xauthority isn't found)
>    - having an XAUTHORITY environment variable that refers to some
> incorrect authority file
>    - ssh's setting up X forwarding (use -x (lowercase) to prevent),
> which would create a different authority file
>
> Mike

Mike,

I am using the same user name locally as well as remotely. I do have
the ~/.Xauthority and it does have binary stuff in it. If I try echo
$XAUTHORITY I don't get any output, what should I be getting?

I also tried ssh -x hostname and that doesn't seem to work either.

I check my X log, and this is what I have in there many many times.

AUDIT: Tue Jul 22 09:25:35 2008: 5514 X: client 16 rejected from local
host (uid 1000)
  Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1

Is there a way to turn off this check to see if that is indeed the problem?

Thanks