[mythtv-users] SA3250 with Svideo input group

Mike LaPlante mike at dividia.net
Mon Jul 28 16:05:43 UTC 2008

Daniel Agar wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 20:11, Mike LaPlante <mike at dividia.net> wrote:
>
>> I've setup my SA3250HD cable box in an input group with my PVR-250's
>> Svideo input. Everything seems to be working except the channel changing.
>>
>> How do I tell Myth to use the firewire cable to change channels? I tried
>> compiling the sa3250ch app in the contrib directory and setting that up
>> as the external command but the app doesn't seem to work with my device.
>> Sometimes it attempts to change the channel but gets the channel # all
>> wrong, more often than not it doesn't change the channel at all.
>>
>> However, channel changing works perfectly if I setup the device by
>> itself without the input group. Of course that option leaves out 80% of
>> the channels because of the encryption. Obviously with Svideo the
>> channels are HD any more, but at least I can tune them in.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Have you tried the channel change script with the option
>  -s : Send command as single digit (for SA4200 and some SA3250s and SA4200HD's)?

Thanks that fixed it. I confess I had no idea there were any flag options.

Just want to note to anyone attempting input groups with a firewire
tuner. I had a series of trial and error attempts to get it to work
right. Apparently you have to set everything up in the right order. In
mythtv-setup when setting up the input connections I had to do it in
this exact order.

Under Capture Cards
Add PVR-250 Capture Card
Add SA3250HD Firewire device
Under Video Sources
Add my Analog line-up
Add my Digital line-up
Under Input Connections
Setup PVR-250 Analog line-up for Tuner1
Setup PVR-250 Digital line-up for Svideo1 and Create Input Group
"digital" for input group 1, also put the external tuner command in this
setup as opposed to the one below.
Setup SA3250HD for Digital line-up and add to Input Group "digital"

Setting up the inputs for the SA3250HD before you setup the Svideo
inputs leads to Myth using the SA3250HD firewire output for video, which
leads to failures to get LAM Locked on encrypted channels. So, make sure
you create the input group from within the SVideo input's configuration
menu, then add the firewire device to that input group. Also, it seems
counter intuitive that the external tuner command is setup underneath
the SVideo input instead of the firewire.

Mike