[mythtv-users] Startup Frontend via SSH

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 15:51:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 07/28/2008 11:40 AM, David Brieck Jr. wrote:
>> Until very recently (when I upgraded my Ubuntu box), I had a very nice
>> script setup so that I could remotely (re)start the frontend on one of
>> my machines. Since the upgrade though, this doesn't seem to work
>> either locally or remotely. Any idea what I'm missing or what changed?
>>

>> #!/bin/bash
>> export DISPLAY=:0
>> killall mythfrontend.real
>> killall irexec
>> nohup irexec&
>> nohup mythfrontend&
>
> Any errors?  Any log output indicating problems (like missing HOME or
> something)?  Might need to add -l /path/to/logfile to your mythfrontend
> command line to see log output.
>
> Mike

In noup.out I have the following output:

xprop:  unable to open display ''
usage:  xprop [-options ...] [[format [dformat]] atom] ...

where options include:
    -grammar                       print out full grammar for command line
    -display host:dpy              the X server to contact
    -id id                         resource id of window to examine
    -name name                     name of window to examine
    -font name                     name of font to examine
    -remove propname               remove a property
    -set propname value            set a property to a given value
    -root                          examine the root window
    -len n                         display at most n bytes of any property
    -notype                        do not display the type field
    -fs filename                   where to look for formats for properties
    -frame                         don't ignore window manager frames
    -f propname format [dformat]   formats to use for property of given name
    -spy                           examine window properties forever

mythfrontend.real: cannot connect to X server

Obviously something with remote X connections, but it used to work
properly before, which has me dumbfounded.