[mythtv-users] DVB-S channel scanning gets stuck

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 14:54:57 UTC 2008

2008/7/28 Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org>

> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Ian Clark wrote:
>
> Ok, very strange...  I reinstalled the machine with Fedora 9 (I was using
> an ancient Fedora Core 6 install) and it all works now...

lol, sometimes I do love computers.... :)

> I do wonder where on earth Myth pulls the crazy channel numbers from
> though...

I think it starts at a random number and works up, I spent a long while
rejigging mine (so 1 is BBC1 etc etc.) but that did involve some crazy SQL
at some point.

> > But as NTL won't officially give me digital and I have no rooftop arial
> it's
> > the only way to get BBC3 and 4.
>
> I'm assuming you can't put up a dish?

I'm in a rented flat, I probably could, but I'm quite quite lazy. :)

> > It's probably a breach of their T+Cs to use a DVB-C card at all, although
> I do
> > pay them a fair amouont of cash a month for a sub standard analog service
> > (which I nolonger use), so I don't feel too bad.
>
> Oh, almost certainly...  mind you, at my last property the arial was
> rubbish and so I received the analogue terrestrial channels from the NTL
> cable which was installed, even though I wasn't an NTL customer (they
> can't argue that that's a breach of my contract since I didn't have a
> contract :)

Yeah, I've done that before, I don't think there's a problem with it, NTL
quite deliberatly encode the FTA channels in this way to tempt people back,
although they will occasionally disconnect people to help reduce signal
loss. (I've had this happen despite being an NTL customer... grrrr!)

Problem is i'm in Leicester on one of the oldest cable segments (used to be
diamond cable round here.) and it's not really up to all this new fangled
digital stuff, so they tell me it's not availabe in my area. Now my landlady
(who lives in the flat above) has digital ntl, but I end up goind round in
circles when I ring them up and try to order it, so I just chanced it and
got a DVB-C card.

When I get my own place (which may actually happen sometime if house prices
keep falling.) I'll probably end up with DVB-T as most of the stuff I want
to watch is on there, although this freesat stuff looks interesting too.

Hey, you never know, by that time Sky might've woken up and actually allow
us to legally buy a CAM module for a DVB-S card. (I hold out little hope
here. :(((( )

Ian