[mythtv-users] VGA to S-Video suggestion

Mache Creeger mache at creeger.com
Mon Jul 28 14:44:22 UTC 2008

At 08:48 PM 7/27/2008, Paul wrote:
> > From: Allen Edwards <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com>
> > I should have said not only is the cable a fools errand, it
> > only works
> > if the video card actually put video signals on some of the
> > unused RGB
> > pins.  No new cards do this and it is extremely unlikely if
> > yours
> > does.  I agree with Mache.
> >
> > Allen
>
>Definitely an S-video out of the card is ideal, but my frontend
>doesn't have a PCI port, let alone an AGP or PCI-X port.

OK, the only other way I know is to find a VGA to NTSC (or PAL)
laptop to video adapter either new or used on eBay or Craigslist.
When video projectors first came out they did not have VGA adapters
they only had SD video (NTSC or PAL). The only way a person with a
laptop could make a presentation on a large TV or projector was to
use an additional piece of active equipment that transformed VGA to
the video signal of choice. These adapters do not do HD, require
power, and are active devices that are much more complex than just a
single cable.

Around three to four years ago (when I not as enlightened about myth
and the nVidia drivers were not as good) I bought one as I had major
problems getting good video out of, at that time, my single server
myth system. It worked fine then, but I don't use it anymore as I now
use FEs to render my video and use my single server for just an MBE.

There are folks that make this type of product and sell it new (they
go for between $50 and $100 USD), although I would encourage you to
find one used. Take the time to check out the device as I am sure
quality will vary between vendors.

Good Luck,

-- Mache

Here are the results of a quick google