[mythtv-users] XvMC question

ojw at weilerfamily.com ojw at weilerfamily.com
Sun Jul 27 04:56:29 UTC 2008

I'm having what seems to be an XvMC problem.  Perhaps someone
here can give me a sanity check...

I'm running a P4 1.8Ghz (400Mhz FSB) with 640MB of RAM on a Dell
Dimension 4400.  I'm using a nvidia 6200 AGP based card (specifically,
this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130233)
I'm recording only mpeg2 streams from an ATSC tuner.  When I try
to playback 1080i based recordings, I'm averaging in the mid 70%
range on my cpu meter as reported by top and about every 5 seconds,
the video stutters.  Based on what I've heard on this list, this
sounds like this card should be able to offload some of that cpu
and that maybe I don't have XvMC set up correctly.

I'm pretty sure I followed all the instructions at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC.

Here are some of the things I have checked:

"dmesg | grep nvidia" produces this:

nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  173.14.05  Mon May 19
00:06:12 PDT 2008

The kernel version is 2.6.25.4 compiled from sources from kernel.org.

"/sbin/lspci | grep -i nvidia" produces:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce
6200] (rev a1)

"/sbin/lsmod | grep -i nvidia" produces:

nvidia               7091236  36
i2c_core               20756  12
lgdt330x,qt1010,mt2060,mt352,zl10353,xc3028_tuner,tvp5150,tuner,nvidia,em28xx,i2c_i801,tveeprom

The video card section of my xorg.conf looks like this:

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Videocard0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     Option         "UseEvents" "true"
     Option         "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
     Option         "NVAGP" "1"
EndSection

When I do this "grep Motion /var/log/Xorg.0.log", I get this:

(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation

Running "mythfrontend --version" produces this:

Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : exported
MythTV Branch    : tags/release-0-21
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
  linux release using_oss using_alsa using_backend using_dbox2
using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_iptv using_ivtv
using_joystick_menu using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_xvmc_vld using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads using_live

I created a playback profile that only uses xvmc.  The
"playback" setting screen (3 of 9) has only one line that
looks like this:

if rez > 0 0 -> XvMC

So I'm kinda at a loss.  I'm a newbie to MythTV so feel
free to point out the obvious.  I'm a competent linux admin
so if I need to run some more diagnostics from the command
line, I'd be happy and able to do that.

Any thoughts?