[mythtv-users] Saving Disk Space

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Jul 27 02:53:47 UTC 2008

On Jul 26, 2008, at 7:26 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:

>>    I would say transcode as much as you can and remember that any
>> machine on the network (including your main desktop machine) can lend
>> a hand.
>
> I added another 500G for another about 100 hours typical.

Excellent!

> I would also like to compress some of my shows more.  They are HD
> shows and I will never look at them on anything except a 480i TV.
> Other shows may end up on the projector, so I will be selective.  I
> only transcode shows I will watch days later.
>
> The manual on transcode is almost non-existent (I think it is a
> footnote under commercial skipping).  Web searches over the last hour
> turned up nothing helpful.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Removing_Commercials#Transcoding_Recordings

Choose the transcoder you want to edit.

Walk through the wizard to choose the size, quality, bitrate, etc.
options and choose what you'd like.

> So, how would I set myth  up to "transcode as much as you can"?

"As much as you can" means the lowest quality settings on everything.
I'm sure you don't really mean that since it would be completely
unwatchable. You'll need to play with the settings in order to
determine what you feel is an acceptable balance between quality and
file size. It's different for everyone. The defaults are common
settings that work for a lot of people, but apparently not for you so
you'll need to change them to suit your needs.

-Brad