[mythtv-users] Need a Dual turner Capture card for myCable, WinTV-PVR 500 is discontinued so what do you recommend ?

Roberto Salvatierra robertosalvatierra at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 26 13:15:31 UTC 2008

Well I live In Costa Rica, Our Standars are basically the same as in USA, NTSC, analog transmision over the cable
( well there's also digital, but there are no QAM channels, so everything is encrypted ) as I said there's one channel with ASTC,

I was looking yesterday at the support for linux for the "Hauppauge HVR-1600" and it seems promising but I would like to know some hands on user experiences.

Interesting enough yesterday I searched for the PVR-500 on that same page you wrote and it returned no results, and I did a lot of different searches, ^^;

On other stores where they had it "listed" they all showed discontinued, or out of stock.

Also there's a note on the mythtv wiki that it says that in holland it is discontinued, so I wonder.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Roberto Salvatierra<robertosalvatierra at hotmail.com> wrote:> First of all, Hello !>> Topic: WinTV-PVR 500 not made anymore, what card with dual recorders do you> recommend.>> now for the last few weeks, I have been doing this and that to get a my PC> working with MYTHtv, everything is FINE now, I am using a very old,> avermedia tv98, for my tests ( I do not live in USA ) so I had to make my> own EPG from various sources of the web, I have a soldered XBOX IR for> remote control ( my avermedia tv98 did not work ) I have APCI working to> save electricty, everything connected to my TV, using an old 6200 Nvida> Card, Everything works AWESOME.>> Now, I want to finish it, adding a dual capture card like the Hauppauge> Personal Video Recorder WinTV-PVR 500, but I came to the web searching for> it and I found that it is discontinued, It seems I can find others on EBAY,> but I really really want a new card since this will replace completly the> VERY expensive PVR I get from my cable company right now.>> I was looking at the "WinTV-HVR-2250", it seems very nice specially> considering it gets ATSC, and ONE channel where I live transmits HD over> ATSC, so it would be nice to have that, but it seems there is no linux> support for it, I do have the Single slot PCI Express, (PCIe) X1 port for> it, so I could use it, if not I really need either a PCI card or a PCIE1/2.> because those are my options ( well I could use USB also, but I do not know> of a dual turner that uses USB )>> there's also the "WinTV-HVR-1800" that would do the trick, but no linix> support.>> so what would you recommend ? the feature I NEED is the dual analog cable> tunner, ( please HARDWARE ENCODE ) and it has to work over regular PCI slot,> (PCIe) X1, or USB, the ATSC would be awesome ( not required ) but it has to> be completly supported by Linux.>> Thank you very much.>> RS.>> I am using Ubunthu with MythTv 0.21, Biostar MOBO ( it was what is had )> award bios, with a 2.6 MHZ Celeron processor.>> Looks like it's still for sale:http://registration.hauppauge.com/webstore/hardware2.asp?product=pvr500mcekit You said you're not in the US, what country are you in? That couldpossibly impact recommendations.