[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.04, LVM, pcHDTV-5500 (V4L) == Hang.

Francis Hartojo fhartojo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 05:22:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem saw before had to do with 2 separate instances of an application
> doing a full disk sync at the same time, and with bad timing they would somehow
> deadlock the kernel ... all other non-xfs filesystems on the machine worked,
> nothing worked on the xfs filesystem when this happened, note that it would only
> happen on 1 machine out of 100 overnight all running the same thing, it each
> night it would happen again on another machine-removing the sync and/or
> switching the filesystem resulted in the problem no longer happening.  The point
> is that *ANY* change can result in you finding an odd bug, I only use XFS for
> large data type partitions as there is very little advantage for using XFS for
> other things (it is not faster, and xfs is less heavily used than ext3 so there
> are likely more issues to be found-so it is somewhat riskier-this is true of any
> other less heavily used filesystem also).     I do use XFS for my myth storage
> with LVM under it, just not for the system partitions.

Now you're telling me.  (c:  I thought about how to best divvy up the
partitions and thought that it'd be simplest, considering how
Mythbuntu lay out its FS', to just make /var its own partition, make
it XFS since that's where MB stores MythTV files, and root FS the same
since XFS can be grown without having to unmount it just in case I
need to.  I did think about making it EXT3, but chose otherwise.
Silly me.

I'll see what my options are.  I suppose I can always rebuild it.
But, I wonder if there's a way to reformat the root LV without
destroying its contents.  The easiest way, I guess, would be to just
get another disk, mount it as a new FS, copy the root FS onto it,
reboot the system using the new FS as root and then reverse the
process after reformatting the old root LV as EXT3.

Is there another way that doesn't involve getting another disk?
Unfortunately, all extents in the VG are used and, from what I've
read, XFS can't shrink.

Thanks.
--
Francis