[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.04, LVM, pcHDTV-5500 (V4L) == Hang.

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 20:16:34 UTC 2008

Francis Hartojo wrote:
> Just started to notice this issue.  Previously the myth box has been
> quite rock solid with almost the same set up save for the LVM.
>
> Details:
> - Motherboard:  ASUS M3A with an AMD Phenom Quad Core CPU.
> - Memory:  4GB.
> - Video:  NVidia FX 5200 TV-Out via S-Video.
> - Tuners:  1x pcHDTV-5500 (analog) connected to a cable STB coax
> (LiveTV default), 1x Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 straight cable (no STB).
> - Disks:  2x Seagate 500GB.
> - Partitions:  /boot on sda1 (ext3), swap on sda2, 1 LVM2 VG on sda3
> and sdb1 with 2 LVs (/ and /var) formatted as XFS.
> - LIRC:  Streamzap remote and serial IR blaster for the STB.
> - OS and Myth:  Mythbuntu 8.04 32-bit updated to the latest patches.
>
> The problem is that if I leave LiveTV long enough (i.e., 2--3 hours),
> the system will eventually hang/freeze.  The TV would show a frozen
> picture, no sound, the system wouldn't respond to keyboard input
> (i.e., Ctrl-Alt-Del)---I haven't tried the magic SysRq sequences as I
> just recently found out about them---SSH would respond although it
> wouldn't give a shell prompt. Nothing suspicious in the log files that
> I can see.
>
> This starts happening after I rebuilt the system to use LVM instead of
> straight FS' on disk partitions.  So, I'm guessing that somehow
> there's a problem perhaps between the ivtv driver and LVM?  Anybody
> else have experienced this as well?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions, pointers, etc.

The sysrq keys are not useful if you are in X.

You may want to try "ctl-alt-f1" and see if it will give you a prompt, if it
does I would expect you to not be able to login, then you can probably use the
sysrq keys if you have them properly turned on (on reboot I would try
"alt-sysrq-s" on a non-x login screen - it does a sync, and is harmless).

If ssh works but does not give you a prompt usually that means that the disk
subsystem is having some sort of issue, typical ivtv and lvm bad interactions
would result in the machine crashing not a deadlock.

Which filesystem is running, and which kernel version?

                                  Roger