[mythtv-users] Need a Dual turner Capture card for my Cable, WinTV-PVR 500 is discontinued so what do you recommend ?

Roberto Salvatierra robertosalvatierra at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 20:15:32 UTC 2008

First of all, Hello !

Topic: WinTV-PVR 500 not made anymore, what card with dual recorders do you recommend.

now for the last few weeks, I have been doing this and that to get a my PC working with MYTHtv, everything is FINE now, I am using a very old, avermedia tv98, for my tests ( I do not live in USA ) so I had to make my own EPG from various sources of the web, I have a soldered XBOX IR for remote control ( my avermedia tv98 did not work ) I have APCI working to save electricty, everything connected to my TV, using an old 6200 Nvida Card, Everything works AWESOME.

Now, I want to finish it, adding a dual capture card like the Hauppauge Personal Video Recorder WinTV-PVR 500, but I came to the web searching for it and I found that it is discontinued, It seems I can find others on EBAY, but I really really want a new card since this will replace completly the VERY expensive PVR I get from my cable company right now.

I was looking at the "WinTV-HVR-2250", it seems very nice specially considering it gets ATSC, and ONE channel where I live transmits HD over ATSC, so it would be nice to have that, but it seems there is no linux support for it, I do have the Single slot PCI Express, (PCIe) X1 port for it, so I could use it, if not I really need either a PCI card or a PCIE1/2. because those are my options ( well I could use USB also, but I do not know of a dual turner that uses USB )

there's also the "WinTV-HVR-1800" that would do the trick, but no linix support.

so what would you recommend ?  the feature I NEED is the dual analog cable tunner, ( please HARDWARE ENCODE ) and it has to work over regular PCI slot, (PCIe) X1, or USB, the ATSC would be awesome ( not required )  but it has to be completly supported by Linux.

Thank you very much.

RS.

I am using Ubunthu with MythTv 0.21, Biostar MOBO ( it was what is had ) award bios, with a 2.6 MHZ Celeron processor.