[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: OTA, Comcast business HSI and the single coax

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jul 25 18:47:05 UTC 2008

On Friday 25 July 2008 11:43:03 Allen Edwards wrote:

> You made a good point about coax being a radiator.  Cheap Radio Shack
> coax might as well be an antenna.  Don't use it.  If you have cable
> and use this kind of coax, one problem you will have it that the OTA
> signals will get into the coax and mess up the cable channels.  I only
> use RG-6U and professional grade connectors.

The fact that you are using some form of RG-6 is no guarantee that you have
good shielding. There is crappy RG-6 and good RG-6, just like with RG-59.

Most cable companies, especially in urban areas, use triple or even
quad-shielded cable, in part to avoid problems with OTA channels ingressing
into the cable signal, and also to reduce radiation.

There is no such thing as cable that "does not radiate", only varying amounts
of radiation, generally dependent on cable and connector quality,
installation technique and various other factors.

> Anyway, I just wanted to make clear that I am not proposing something
> that is going to cause RFI.

It's now apparent that you are aware of the potential problems. I confess I
was not reading this thread fro the start, it's just that when I saw "cable
TV" and "antenna" in the same sentence I thought I'd make sure you were aware
of the pitfalls.

beww