[mythtv-users] HDMI input

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Fri Jul 25 13:57:48 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Brian Phillips <brian.phillips at gmx.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> > Your best option is an HDMI to component cable and then using an
>> > Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 to capture that.
>> >
>> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_HD-PVR
>> >

>> Going to need much more than a cable to convert HDMI to component.  Then
>> you've got to worry if the device doing the conversion supports HDCP.
>>
>> Any links to relevant converters?
>
> I should have said DVI to component.  That would work.

Same difference.  HDCP can exist on DVI links as well.  Having said
that, perhaps the provider doesn't have HDCP enabled?

The Dreambox HD800 looks to have a second output marked
SCART/RGB/Composite, so it is possible to get an analog out.
According to http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp930.pdf,
it is technically possible to convert RGB to YCrCb that the HD PVR
appears to want, but I don't know if an affordable commercial device
exists for that conversion.

 Even more interesting, and relevant to this emailing list, the manual
<<http://www.dreamboxworld.org/dbw/manuals/DM_800.pdf>>
says that it runs Linux with 256 MBytes of RAM and has interfaces for
SATA, Ethernet, and USB.
Best of all, it has H.264 hardware decoding.  Wonder what chipset it uses.

   Marc