[mythtv-users] Basic setup problems (XvMC, Lirc, EIT)

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Fri Jul 25 06:19:11 UTC 2008

At the risk of top posting, I will give you some ideas to try.  Not sure
of some of them so if they are off base, I apologize in advance.

>> 2. Lirc. Mythfrontend says: "could not connect to socket: connection
>> refused".

I think  you may need to start lircd.

>> 4. Frontend console filled with: "Audio: buffer underrun" Why?

I have had the best luck with alsa.conf removed as well as the .asoundrc
You don't want pulse audio around either.  I helped someone on this list
whose system started working when they uninstalled pulseaudio.  The
defaults work well so you don't want the config files.

>> X is configured as 2 separate screens: 1 on my monitor and the other
>> DVI->VGA adapter->scart RGB to my CRT 16:9 TV (720x576). There is some
>> issues with aspect ratio switching: more specifically it's not
>> automatic. When I force 4:3 AR in mythtv, AR is correct in TV, but
>> when the commercials kick in, I get "letterboxing". And, when mythtv's
>> AR is 16:9, on TV programs are letterboxed but commercials are "OK".
>> I'm probably missing something related to AR but I've read every page
>> I could find about it. I'd be happy to post my config files if needed.

Make sure you have independent screens and not twinview.  As far as the
AR, I don't know about it.  I never set any AR and what I do on my TV is
just zoom either 1/2 or full, which cuts off the sides of the show and
fills the screen top to bottom.  Half is a comprimise.  On my 16:9
projector, I turn zoom off.  But like I said, I don't touch AR, just
zoom, so you may be head of what I have.

Allen