[mythtv-users] Better Satellite Service in the US

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 19:18:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 2:08 PM, James Crow <james at ultratans.com> wrote:

> I have decided that with the recent availability of naked DSL I want to
> switch to one of the satellite television providers for the US. I
> currently run Myth with a PVR-500 and analog cable. I would like to
> record HD as I have a HD TV and a decently powerful (AMD 64 x2 5?00)
> Myth PC. Is either of the satellite companies providing IEEE-1394 ports
> or other ways to get HD content into a Myth box? I would be happy
> setting up OTA HD for my local stations. The only other stations I watch
> are HGTV and Discovery. Both of which are available 5C encrypted on my
> cable service.

No.  Your best option at this point for recording HD from Sat is to buy an
HDPVR from Hauppauge and record the analog component (HD) output from your
STB into H.264 with the device.  It is brand new and support is limited in
Myth for it and the driver is highly experminental right now.

The only other option I'm aware of are some modified STB boxes that add
firewire ports to them but I'm not sure how supported they are either.

Kevin