[mythtv-users] Where to set minimum empty disk space before recording?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 24 16:38:44 UTC 2008

On 07/24/2008 10:22 AM, stuart wrote:
> I would like to up my minimum empty disk storage space before recording.
>   Right now it looks to be 1 GB.  That can get soaked up in minutes at
> high def.  I'd like to set it up for 10 GB.  But I've looked where I
> thought it would be in the mythtv-setup and the mythtv front end menus
> w/o finding it so far.
>
> ...thanks for any help.

Extra Disk Space
Extra disk space (in Gigabytes) that you want to keep free on the
recording file systems beyond what MythTV requires.

in frontend settings under General Settings (on page 2 or so--"General
(AutoExpire)").

Note that the value you choose is applied to /all/ filesystems.  So, if
you have a single partition on each of 2 500GB HDD's mounted in
directories specified in your storage groups and a directory in the
"leftover" 20GB of a 40GB root disk (or some small partition on that
disk) and you specify "Extra Disk Space" of 20GB, any recordings on your
20GB disk/partition will be expired next time it needs to expire
recordings from there.

Therefore, make sure you move any recordings to larger disks before you
change the value to some number that's greater than the remaining space
on that filesystem.  You can simply move the recordings from one
directory to another, as long as both origination and destination
directories are specified in (one of) your storage groups and as long as
both are available to the host that recorded the files.

Mike