[mythtv-users] Possible solution for getting both SPDIF and analog output

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jul 24 16:34:34 UTC 2008

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> A while back some folks were having problems getting both SPDIF and analog
> outputs from Myth.  As I understand it, it's not possible to get both at
> the same time.
>
> However, I came across this howto:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Setting_A_Button_On_Your_Remote_To_Toggle_The_S/PDIF_Audio_Source
>
> Using it you should be able to program a button on your remote to switch
> back and forth between the two.
> Might not be an ideal solution, but as I recall the folks in question just
> wanted to be able to use both, but not at the same time.
>
> Anyway, HTH.

How thoughtful of you to reply to this old unsolved problem.  Thank you.

I ran right down and turned my TV on connected to the analog audio
output.  I opened alsamixer and muted IEC958.  Then I clicked on Watch
TV and watched as my nicely muted IEC958 output went unmuted.
Apparently, myth unmutes it.  I then clicked mute again, which had no
effect.

Great idea but at least here on Mythbuntu 8.04 it isn't working.

Still looking.