[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: OTA, Comcast business HSI and the single coax

Peter VanDerWal peter at vanderwal.us
Thu Jul 24 09:03:54 UTC 2008

> Greetings.  This is semi-off topic IMO, but not fully as I'm sure
> someone on the list may have dealt with a similar situation.
>
> I am currently set-up for OTA digital only and my current connection to
> the world is via DSL.
>
> I am switching to Comcast business for my pipe, and would like to make
> use of a single coax for both.
>
> I know that OTA and Comcast television do not mix over the same coax,
> but what about just data?  Is there a splitter or filter that I can get
> to allow this to work, or am I going to have to run a new line just for
> the data?

You want to connect your OTA antenna to your cable??  That probably won't
work very well.  The Cable already has signals on the same frequencies as
most of the OTA channels and will swamp them out.

I suppose you could add RF filters to block the cable channels and then
inject the OTA stuff, but it seems like a huge expense/hassle just to
avoid running another cable.