[mythtv-users] Database Backup and Restore Scripts

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 24 02:19:38 UTC 2008

Daniel recently checked in the new database backup and restore scripts
that will be part of MythTV 0.22.  The scripts were written to work with
any version of MythTV, so even if you're using 0.21-fixes (or 0.18 or
0.13 ;), you may want to download the new scripts (as described in the
wiki page mentioned below) and use them for backup and restore of your
MythTV database.

The scripts are full-featured and include #23.5 (full) backups*, #23.7
(new-hardware/partial) restores** (including partial restore with plugin
data), and #23.15 change hostname functionality*** (written to be much
more reliable than #23.15--it will even work with hostnames like "myth"
or "video" or other common words).  And, as a bonus, it even includes an
ability to backup and restore xmltvids (i.e. for before and after a full
channel scan, respectively).

The scripts have extensive help text available by executing the script
with the --help argument.  For those looking for a quick overview and
examples, check out (and update/add to) the new wiki page at:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore

Note that anyone who downloaded any of the "preview" versions of the
scripts from my website should update to the new versions (with new,
shorter names :), as described in the wiki page, above.

The more people we get to test the scripts and the more varied
configurations on which they're tested, the more likely they will just
work on all machines when 0.22 is released.  And, since it's possible I
may have the automatic daily backup from the master backend
functionality done before 0.22 is released, it's possible that it will
be part of 0.22.  If so, the more testing we do now, the better.

Thanks, and enjoy,
Mike

* http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5
** http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7