[mythtv-users] Satellite in the US

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 23:03:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Carlos Javier Borroto
> <carlos.borroto at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Exactly, don't expect to get any cable channels or major networks for
>> > free. These will be encrypted and to receive them you will have to pay
>> > for packages and use some type of receiver.
>> >

>> I think this is exactly the question, is there any legal/pay option to
>> see satellite TV from a US provider like Dish or DirecTV?, I know in
>> Europe there is the option of buying a DVB-S with a CI slot, where you
>> can put a card from a provider you are subscribed and them watch your
>> payed service with whatever software you one. Is there an option like
>> this on the US?, does MythTV support it?
>

> The only legal way to record content from Dish or DirectTV is via the method
> mentioned in the OP via the STB.

In NZ we essentially have 2 satellite providers. Freeview broadcast
unencrypted and the material is freely available (although still
subject to copyright of course) via a DVB-S card. Sky use encryption
and the only way to record is with their MySky proprietary STB PVR or
via the analogue out of the plain STB.