[mythtv-users] Satellite in the US

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 18:23:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Eric Mesa <ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry if I have things a bit mixed up, but from what I've read in the
> mailing list, our European users can access satellite TV straight into a
> capture card by simply obtaining the CAM card from their sat provider and
> putting it into their sat capture card.  Thus they don't need to purchase a
> receiver and/or use an IR blaster.
>
> Does no such thing exist for satellite TV in the US?

I believe so, but not from the providers you're thinking of (Dish,
DirectTV).   Lyngsat has a list of the FTA (Free-to-air) satellites
available in the US.  I'm pretty sure you're looking at DVB-S cards.  You'll
get some obscure programming and things like NASA TV but it isn't going to
work with the commercial US providers lineups as they do not provide the
decryption CAMs, only the Set Top Boxes (STB).

Kevin