[mythtv-users] MyMote is now available!

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 16:24:58 UTC 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Craig Partin wrote:

>> Hello all,
>>
>> You might remember I sent out a notice of an upcoming iPhone/iPod
>> Touch application I've been working on called MyMote. It is a
>> MythTV specific user configurable remote control with a program
>> guide built in. I am pleased to announce that MyMote is now
>> available. Please see http://trac2.assembla.com/mymote/wiki for
>> details. Note that although MyMote is now available through ad hoc
>> distribution, it has not been approved by Apple for their App
>> Store. Please read the information about ad hoc distribution on the
>> main page for instructions on how to acquire MyMote.
>>
>> Feel free to comment, suggest, or constructively criticize!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> P.S.: The screenshots and video at the MyMote site are a little out
>> of date. I will be updating them shortly, but MyMote has only
>> undergone improvements without restructuring the user interface or
>> general flow.
>>

>> That's really exciting, I hope to try it soon.  Thanks!
>>
>> What do you think the possibility of getting something like this
>> working?
>>
>> http://features.engadget.com/2004/07/27/how-to-turn-your-ipod-in-to-a-universal-infrared-remote-control/
>>
>> If it could do volume control on the amp it would definitely be a
>> killer app for remote control.
>
> It's certainly possible, but I'm not sure how many users would find
> it useful. I'll gladly accept patches to add extra functionality. I
> think the better route, however, is to use LIRC with an IR blaster
> from another machine. That way the user doesn't have to carry around
> another attachment to the iPhone just for the remote control.
>
> Thanks
>
> Would that work with the LIRC buttons already in the code? That is a
> better idea.

The LIRC buttons in MyMote send the configured remote "button" key
press to the LIRC daemon on the master backend. For instance, I have a
TV with a serial port which I can send control commands to. I set up
LIRC on my backend to run my tv_remote program to tell the tv to turn
on or off when lircd receives a "pc_power" key press. So, on MyMote I
created a LIRC button named "Power" which sends the "pc_power" key
press to the master backend's lircd.

An IR blaster would work just as well as the serial port control I
have on my TV. Also, lircd messages can be rerouted to other lircd
servers I believe, so MyMote is not confined to commands being sent
only to the master backend.