[mythtv-users] Channel change misses 20% of the time, can I do USB to USB?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 15:44:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Paul <openletter at yahoo.com> wrote:
> John P Poet wrote:
>> I use a USB-to-Serial->Null Modem
>> cable->Serial-to-USB cable to
>> connect my  computer to my H20.
>>
>> The H20 only understands a subset of the various USB/Serial
>> adapters
>> out there.  Mine uses the PL2303 chip.
>>
>> I bought the USB/Serial adaptor at directron and the Null
>> Modem cable
>> at monoprice.
>>
>> Of course, you should read the wiki:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php
> /Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial
>>

>> John
>
> This list rocks!  Thanks, man.
>
> There is a 'PTC Premium USB to Serial Converter for DB9 and DB25,
>  Model:
> USBA-S109' on Directron - is this the same you have?  It doesn't say
> anything about the chip used.
>
> Is it possible to just run it through my parallel port?  I'm not using that
> for anything, and it seems simpler.

You would be on your own trying to use your parallel port.

This is what I used:

http://www.directron.com/sbtusc1m.html
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10212&cs_id=1021205&p_id=477&seq=1&format=2

John

PS.  This list prefers text emails.  You should turn off HTML in your
email client.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?