[mythtv-users] Looking for low power/heat PCI video card w/TV out

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Wed Jul 23 14:50:15 UTC 2008

> I was thinking that you might use a
> VGA->Composite adapter.
There are two types of adapters that I know of.  One is a very
inexpensive cable like thing.  However, it only works if your video card
has video out and stuffed it into unused pins on the VGA connector.  The
dongle just breaks those pins out.  It won't work on any modern video cards.

Second is an electronic box that costs hundreds of dollars and doesn't
work as well as any new video card.  I have one of these and was able to
compare it to a new 6200.  The 6200 was much better.

I looked for a MB with onboard S-Video.  I found one but it is
unavailable, out of production.  I bought a 6200 and it works well.

Only problem with it was that I could not let myth set up the
proprietary drivers or the computer would not boot because of a conflict
with my video capture card.  Disabling the driver in myth and installing
it with envyng solved that.

Allen