[mythtv-users] Nova-T remote without a Nova-T card?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 08:48:51 UTC 2008

2008/7/23 mat <mat at lessermatters.co.uk>:
> Hi there folks,
>
> Now I have moved my backend into myt garage, I'mkind of left with a
> useless (but excellent) remote control. So, my question is: Can I somehow
> make use of this remote without a Nova-T card in the vicinity?
>
> I mean, can buy just a reciever card to put in my livingroom PC?

You should be able to use the remote (sure it uses RC-5 protocol like
most/all other Hauppauge remotes) with another IR receiver. I use
cheap homebrew serial-port IR receivers/transmitters, but USB IR
devices are increasingly popular and easy to setup.

The important point to take from this is that remote controls in
general are not tied to any particular IR receiver, but the converse
is not always true (you can probably still only use RC-5 based remotes
with Hauppauge TV cards). I currently use RC-5 and RC-6 remotes with
my serial IR receivers and have no problems - although finding
motherboards with onboard serial ports will be increasingly difficult
in the future.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: