[mythtv-users] Integrating non-traditional program sources into MythTV (won't tell you what it 'was:')

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jul 22 21:08:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 02:55:23PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:37:19PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> > >    I agree.  I have this on my TODO as part of finishing the MythNews RSS
> > >    enclosure support but I'm starting to see some value in taking this
> > out of
> > >    MythNews and putting it more into the mainline frontend.  I just
> > updated my
> > >    home system to SVN with QT4 so I'm just about ready to start looking
> > at the
> > >    code.
> >
> > (Yo, everybody!  Shut up now!  That's a better response than I
> > expected.  :-)
>

> It is an interesting conundrum.  It really can't be integrated into searches
> per se because it isn't guide data.  It doesn't fit in the traditional role
> of the program guide because the programs are instantly available without
> notice.  How did you envision this appearing?  Would you expect to see feed

Have RSS feeds look like channels and have them laid out in the grid based
on how many are available. Lay them down right beside the normal shows that
you have to wait for.

I could see RSS feeds having the same feel as PPV. You can watch it all day
but perhaps you want to schedule the "recording" for a particular time when
it is more convenient. You could even have a "feed download window".

> "recording rules" along side normal rules in the Recording Priorities list?

Well, feeds would be channels and recording rules could act on feeds just
like they were any other channel.

This also brings up the issue of content length. It might be nice to be
able to have recording rules account for length of content. Either allow a
limit on number of minutes recorded or only record items of a certain
length (although this is probably already doable with "advanced" rules").

A maxlength for general purpose rules could be handy just to handle
boundary cases.

> I can see that, but then also it really doesn't require a priority because
> it can't compete with other rules.  I can't see them appearing in the guide

You wouldn't necessarily see content restricted to feeds or channels. They
could be mixed. Someone also might still want to delete based on recording
priority.