[mythtv-users] Integrating non-traditional program sources into MythTV (won't tell you what it 'was:')

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jul 22 20:58:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:35:34PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:20 PM, David Linville <dlinvill at networksdown.com>
> wrote:

> >> Mostly because there is really no comprehensive RSS database to search
> >> like with have for Schedules Direct.  You still have to hunt down and find
> >> the feeds and even then, these aren't really "recordings" as they are
> >> downloads so I have a hard time fitting them into the scheduler like you do
> >> with guide data.  Certainly managing feeds is a thing that can be done well
> >> by Myth.  I just don't see it as part of the guide but that may be just my
> >> vision...
> >>

> > But I don't search schedules direct for shows or channels.  Think of each
> > RSS feed as a channel.  I search the content of specific channel listings
> > that schedules direct has nicely packaged together.  Similar to what an RSS
> > aggregator would do.
> >
> > I would update each RSS channel just like I do a SD channel.  When a new
> > show appears on any RSS channel my downloaded tuner would notice that it is
> > time to download a new show and depending on my specific RSS recording rule
> > either download or not.  That way I can set shows to download based on
> > custom rules or only download X episodes and expire old copies.
> >
> > Currently I can force the recordings into myth recordings post download but
> > I lose all of the scheduling greatness and without a record rule id the
> > Watch Programs groupings don't work.
> >
> > Dumping into a folder in mythvideo is the worst option because I can't
> > delete  watched shows from there.  Plus the rss feed shows are more like
> > recorded shows than videos.
> >

> Yeah, I understand that it can feel to the user that way.  I'm just noting
> that from a coding standpoint, the scheduler wouldn't jive with this model.
> I certainly see your point about the user experience of it as opposed to how

I don't see it.

You rerun the scheduling process any time the recording rules change and
any time the scheduling data changes. So you periodically update the
scheduling data with information outside of Schedules Direct and then
re-run the recording rules.

Where's the big mystery?

The rules are being re-run all the time. Some of the highly visible UI
glitches are due to this very reason.