[mythtv-users] Integrating non-traditional program sources into MythTV (won't tell you what it 'was:')

David Linville dlinvill at networksdown.com
Tue Jul 22 18:20:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  1. myth already has great tools for scanning the database and finding
>> programmes you want to record, integrating searches across broadcast
>> TV and RSS feeds would be useful (why configure two search engines?);
>

> Mostly because there is really no comprehensive RSS database to search like
> with have for Schedules Direct.  You still have to hunt down and find the
> feeds and even then, these aren't really "recordings" as they are downloads
> so I have a hard time fitting them into the scheduler like you do with guide
> data.  Certainly managing feeds is a thing that can be done well by Myth.  I
> just don't see it as part of the guide but that may be just my vision...

But I don't search schedules direct for shows or channels.  Think of each
RSS feed as a channel.  I search the content of specific channel listings
that schedules direct has nicely packaged together.  Similar to what an RSS
aggregator would do.

I would update each RSS channel just like I do a SD channel.  When a new
show appears on any RSS channel my downloaded tuner would notice that it is
time to download a new show and depending on my specific RSS recording rule
either download or not.  That way I can set shows to download based on
custom rules or only download X episodes and expire old copies.

Currently I can force the recordings into myth recordings post download but
I lose all of the scheduling greatness and without a record rule id the
Watch Programs groupings don't work.

Dumping into a folder in mythvideo is the worst option because I can't
delete  watched shows from there.  Plus the rss feed shows are more like
recorded shows than videos.

David