[mythtv-users] First Time User :: Problem with Hauppauge PVR-500 (System Reboots)

Param Singh mithu.singh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 03:26:18 UTC 2008

> This is kernel 2.6.17-10-server so I think it was ubuntu edgy.  After
> upgrading to dapper - feisy, my box rebooted after accessing ivtv.  All later
> kernels had the reboot problem.  With gutsy it was stable for a few days and
> then it rebooted. So my backend is ubuntu hardy with a very old kernel and ivtv 0.7.4, but it is
> rock solid.

Based on what you said, I downgraded and installed Ubuntu 6.06 (
Kernel v2.6.15.26 ) and ivtv ( 0.4.10 Branch ).

Now the system does not crashes when I run the command :

$ cat /dev/video0 > foobar.mpeg

It runs for 15 minutes ( max. that I tested ) without any problems and
resulting mpeg is nice quality. Right now I am just happy that its
working with my old Dragon Soyo p4x400 motherboard with VIA chipset,
and that I dont have to swap motherboards :-). The next step would be
to install MythTV and see if I can watch Live-TV without crashing this
thing :-)

A quick question, How can I make sure that when 'apt-get
install/update' runs it is allowed to update all the other packages
except kernel* and ivtv* ? I think those two are most crucial packages
to keep this thing working...

Thanks,

~Param