[mythtv-users] Mythdora 4 Frontend Database Woes / Network Lag

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Jul 22 02:38:32 UTC 2008

On Jul 21, 2008, at 7:31 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Monday 21 July 2008 19:54:39 Jonathan Seawright wrote:
>
>> Okay, What is the best way to allow access to the video?
>> Myth on my frontend would complain about not being able to find the
>> videos,
>> so I mounted the directory as /storage like it is on the main
>> mythtv box. I
>> get the feeling that sharing video is a setting somewhere in the
>> setup?
>
> If you really need to mount them NFS is better than samba.
>
> Your subject mentions MD4, I assume you are aware that MythDora 5
> has been
> released.

I'd have to know more about the "not able to find the videos" problem.
Actually, I assumed you were talking about recorded programs and not
videos. If you are talking about MythVideo then you're doing it right,
but need to fix your Samba settings to something reasonable for
sending single large files (the default is for lots of small files).

I don't agree that NFS is better than Samba (I think they're both ok
and equally annoying in their own ways), but I agree that the default
NFS settings work better for streaming video than the default Samba
settings.

Your ideal samba settings depend on your networking usage and all that.