[mythtv-users] Flickering lines at the bottom of TV

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Tue Jul 22 01:34:17 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> It's being broadcast that way. There is nothing to fix on your end.
> Usually a television's overscan will hide this sort of thing but
> since you're displaying the entire video, you're getting the garbage*
> edges as well.
> For info on Overscan here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Overscan
>
> To hide this, you can play back your videos 1% or 2% larger than they
> actually are (whichever works for you) or you can crop your
> recordings by transcoding them with crop settings.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Overscan#TV_Playback_Overscan_Adjustmen
t_Settings

> *The "garbage" is actually encoded information being sent along with
> the broadcast like metadata information about the program, closed
> captioning text, etc.

I was a bit skeptical of overscan being my issue for a couple reasons.  1)
It only happens on a single channel.  2) It doesn't happen 100% of the time
(but often enough it's worth delving into.).

I'll look into the scan displacement settings.

Brian Phillips