[mythtv-users] Integrating non-traditional program sources into MythTV (won't tell you what it 'was:')

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 21 20:51:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 09:47:02PM +0100, Nick Morrott wrote:
> > I'm sure you can understand why I would like, as a MythTV user and Miro
> > watcher, to have my MythTV box be able *automatically* to catch any
> > Miro program that might have, say, an appearance by Lowe on behalf of
> > some (Democratic :-) candidate, and automatically record it.
> >
> > The ability to wedge such program data from non-traditional feeds is
> > slightly more important than the ability to use the internal player
> > instead of Mplayer to watch them... but that will become less true as
> > well as multi-user Myth gets closer to reality and the internal player
> > picks up just one more extra feature over external ones.
>
> You seem to be proposing some sort of mythical convergence device :)

Me?

Naaah.

I just tech edit books about them.  Wonder if anyone here ever read the
aPress book... :-)

> Regardless of the source of, or the transmission protocol used by
> content providers, being able to use the search/scheduler facilities
> provided by MythTV core across a multitude of sources would just
> increase the usefulness of the software for me [1]. Those are the
> killer features of the software IMHO.
>
> Sometime down the road I would also love to see a Grand Unified
> Interface (a GUI if you will) where my media is available from, and
> managed by, a single interface. Another reason to start more serious
> attempts at understanding the code...

It's a two part issue: you need something to pour the program details
into the database, and some way to "record" them.  I gather the
refactoring on the latter point may be underway already, for other IPTV
projects, but I'm not sure how far the former has gotten (if at all)
because I haven't been following -dev.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.