[mythtv-users] Integrating non-traditional program sources into MythTV (won't tell you what it 'was:')

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 21 20:25:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 02:08:35PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>    The thing is, Miro isn't TV.  It's "podcasts" which again can be handled by
>    MythNews with some modifications.

Miro may be a bad example for this, but I'll swing for the fences
anyway...

Let's suppose that I have a whole bunch of rules set up to catch and
record programs by actors whose work I admire.

Let's further suppose that some of these actors are political
activists... Rob Lowe, for example.

I'm sure you can understand why I would like, as a MythTV user and Miro
watcher, to have my MythTV box be able *automatically* to catch any
Miro program that might have, say, an appearance by Lowe on behalf of
some (Democratic :-) candidate, and automatically record it.

The ability to wedge such program data from non-traditional feeds is
slightly more important than the ability to use the internal player
instead of Mplayer to watch them... but that will become less true as
well as multi-user Myth gets closer to reality and the internal player
picks up just one more extra feature over external ones.

Does this clarify what people might be looking for and why they might
want it a bit better, without raising people's hackles?

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)