[mythtv-users] Cannot log into database?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jul 21 16:39:45 UTC 2008

On Jul 21, 2008, at 4:36 AM, Josh White wrote:

> Thanks for all the tips.  Unfortunately, none of the ideas mentioned
> seem to be the problem.  I set the backend to use a static IP
> address (192.168.1.5) which is the IP address the machine has used
> for about 18 months now.  That is the IP address I have the local
> frontend that runs on the backend machine set to connect to, and the
> address I have the remote frontends set to use.  They are all
> connected through a single netgear router that has also worked well,
> without any changes for months.

You need to look at your mythbackend log files to see if a connection
attempt is made and what the error from mysql is.
I'm sure your problem is something that's already been mentioned. :)

> I too have had trouble when changing the password generated during
> installation, and thus I have always simply used the one generated
> (it's not a password I need to use very often, so it's not a big
> deal for me to write it down).
>
> So for some reason, the local frontend, which is set to connect to
> "192.168.1.5" (which it's own IP address) with a password of
> "ZfxL8ncZ" works, but my remote frontend, (sitting on the same
> router, with an IP address of 192.168.1.4) set to connect to the
> backend at "192.168.1.5" with the password "ZfxL8ncZ" gives me the
> error message with a question mark.  Not that this eliminates any
> chance for networking problems, but I can connect the two machines
> connect via NFS, SSH, and VNC, so I think the network is ok.  What
> else could be causing the problem?

Make sure mysql is accepting connections from remote machines.
Make sure you use the grant command to accept logins from your remote
machines.
More info on how to do this is in the link I already provided:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythFrontend#Debugging_MythFrontend_Problems