[mythtv-users] USB Harddrives

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 16:19:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 4:31 AM, Peter VanDerWal <peter at vanderwal.us> wrote:

> I do hope you are backing up that data.
>
> USB drives are really not intended to be used this way, and keeping a
> drive running continuously tends to lead to short lifespans.
>
> I'd think if you want to use external drives that you'd be better off
> using SATA.  Any particular reason you folks aren't doing this?  I mean
> besides the fact that USB is a little bit cheaper (I'm pretty sure there
> is some correlation between "cheap" and "longevity")

What makes you think the hard drives inside external enclosures are
any more prone to failure than an internal drive? If you crack open
the case you'll see they are the exact same drives they sell for
internal use. Most that I've seen are just be IDE drives with a
conversion to USB.

Yes, I realize there can be heat issues, but those same issues exist internally.