[mythtv-users] BitTorrent: It's not just for Copyvio anymore! (was: MythTV and BitTorrent?)

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 16:07:44 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:12:33AM -0500, jedi wrote:
> > > Torrents != Illegal. Already went over this, so I won't repeat myself
> and make a huge paragraph. :P
> >
> >     The protocol isn't.
> >
> >     The typical usage is.
> >
> >     Denying this is just kidding yourself.
>

> http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/digitalcontent/2007/02/bittorrent_goes_legal.html
>
> http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/06/21/vuze-bittorrent-with-a-friendly-legal-face/
> http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Legal_torrent_sites
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/10/BUGLTION1P1.DTL
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/08/0328214
>
> http://firefox.org/news/articles/147/1/Firefly-Buffy-and-More-Now-on-Legal-Bittorrent/Page1.html
>
> http://torrentfreak.com/sundance-winner-the-corporation-released-for-free-on-bittorrent/
> http://newteevee.com/2007/03/03/ten-sites-for-free-and-legal-torrents/
> http://www.legaltorrents.com/
>
> See also
>
> http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6186.cfm
> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=2104
>
> http://www.webtvwire.com/vuze-a-legal-p2p-bittorrent-service-asks-fcc-for-help-after-being-blocked-by-various-isps/
>
> So, um, yeah, no.  And no, those of us saying that BT qua BT is *not* a
> redflag inherently are relying upon *the MPAA itself* as quoted in the
> AfterDawn piece I linked above.
>
> So, I think it's time for a newer risk analysis on the discussion of
> the topic of plugins which retrieve program material for MythTV over
> the BitTorrent protocol.  Just that.  Let's not conflate, shall we, the
> clearly illegal sharing of programs a user has recorded off-air or
> ripped *via* the BitTorrent protocol, as some of the people in this
> thread are doing.

And I can say again that no one is going to stop anyone from developing a
plug-in that deals with BT and MythTV.  Personally, I don't see the need for
any BT integration.  BT as it stands today is a downloading protocol (yes, I
know streaming is being worked on but let's not go there yet).  Nothing
about MythTV is needed for BT downloading and putting that content in Myth.
Myth will happily play whatever you put in it's path using MythVideo.  At
most, I could see integration being some kind of simple post-download script
that injects the metadata into MythVideo, or if needed, your recordings
table, to provide better content browsing.

Otherwise, I don't see what all the hubbub is about.  Myth doesn't need BT
integration.  The last thing I need to know my mythbackend is doing is
managing torrent connections when I want to watch TV.  Let another program
(and much better ones than Myth would likely have) handle the content, I
just will watch it with Myth.

Kevin