[mythtv-users] MythTV and BitTorrent?

Chuck Peters cp at ccil.org
Mon Jul 21 11:44:47 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:20 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 04:54:57PM +0100, Graham Wood wrote:
>> >From a "Real Life" perspective - that way leads to possible legal
>> problems. MythTV at the moment would be covered by "fair use" in most
>> countries - as soon as it has functionality (from the off) to share
>> recordings, this stops being as clear cut.
>
> Strawman: I don't believe anyone here was discussing *sharing things
> they'd recorded*; at least not in this thread; at least, not that I
> saw.

Then I'll bring it up.  NASA TV or at least most of it would be legal
to redistribute.  Our local cable system doesn't provide it and the
online version provided by NASA is lower quality.  I would like to
occasionally watch things like the launches, landings, press
conferences etc... So why can't we have something in mythtv that
allows us to easily share NASA TV?

I can't think of anything else that we could legally redistribute, but
there must be something.  CSPAN should be legal to redistrubute, it's
a crime in my opinion that we can't redistribute it.

One thing I have wondered about for a long time is why hasn't someone
offered a service that uses bittorrent to legally subscribe to TV
content, just like the promised cable service of paying for only the
channels you want.  Did anyone catch the Wimbleton final recently? I
missed the end of it because delays caused it to run late and our
recording ended, that could be avoided with a Internet based service.
Why doesn't someone build a plugin that uses mythtv to access a
subscription service like that?

Chuck