[mythtv-users] BitTorrent: It's not just for Copyvio anymore! (was: MythTV and BitTorrent?)

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 10:41:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:12:33AM -0500, jedi wrote:
> > > Torrents != Illegal. Already went over this, so I won't repeat myself
> and make a huge paragraph. :P
> >
> >     The protocol isn't.
> >
> >     The typical usage is.
> >
> >     Denying this is just kidding yourself.

Maybe, but that's totally irrelevant. The MPAA haven't gone after any BT
implementation. They've gone after tracker sites, which is fair enough, but
not the BT programs themselves.

> So, um, yeah, no.  And no, those of us saying that BT qua BT is *not* a
> redflag inherently are relying upon *the MPAA itself* as quoted in the
> AfterDawn piece I linked above.
> So, I think it's time for a newer risk analysis on the discussion of
> the topic of plugins which retrieve program material for MythTV over
> the BitTorrent protocol.  Just that.  Let's not conflate, shall we, the
> clearly illegal sharing of programs a user has recorded off-air or
> ripped *via* the BitTorrent protocol, as some of the people in this
> thread are doing.

I agree. The MPAA clearly recognise that the protocol and the
implementations are not illegal. If they thought they had any chance of
winning a suit they would have bought one - after all BT traffic is supposed
to account for a significant chunk (20-35%) of all internet traffic (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)#Network_impact). Can
anyone really seeing them going after MythTV for including a BT
implementation then?