[mythtv-users] Help recovering my myth database

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 23:30:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Mache Creeger <mache at creeger.com> wrote:

>  At 03:58 AM 7/20/2008, Nick F wrote:
>
> Help!
>
> Something hosed my backend
> Unfortunately my last backup of my myth database is dated the 4th of July -
> so I'm at least 2 weeks behind (which is better than 2 1/2 years).
>
> What's the best way to recover?  Can I use the old mythconverg database and
> just copy it over - how do I do that?  How do I preserve my mysql settings?
> (is there a config file I should copy over?)
>
> Alternatively you can generate a backup copy from your old partition and
> then install that backup into a new partition.
> You cannot just copy it over. To reinstall mythconverg in a new myth
> installation,
> You should be good to go.
>
> Thanks guys,

For the record, I installed mysql normally, mounted the old partition in
/tmpmnt, then in /etc/my.cnf I changed the data directory to be
/tmpmnt/var/lib/mysql/, restarted mysql.  I was then able to save a backup
of mythconverg.  Changed my.cnf back to the new location, restored the
database, and all was well.  So I've got all my data (separate drives) and
the mythconverg database.  Whew!

For some reason, the LiveCD, and repair utility wouldn't let me fix my
filesystem fully, so I've had to reinstall F9.  I just wish I knew what
hosed my system so badly before (I'm guessing switching on and off corrupted
something somewhere).  All's well now - just a pain to have to fix all the
little things - udev rules, scripts, etc.

Thanks again!