[mythtv-users] First Time User :: Problem with Hauppauge PVR-500 (System Reboots)

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 01:48:12 UTC 2008

Param Singh wrote:
>> If you are crashing when you try to display live-TV I would suspect that that is
>> a video card driver issue, try recording stuff, and if that does not crash it it
>> is likely not an IVTV issue, but a nvidia driver issue.
>>

> I wasnt sure how to record stuff ... So from what I read online, I
> tried doing....
>
> $ cat /dev/video0 > foobar.mpg
>
> And once again, immediate crash :-(

That is a little more consistent with ivtv or a underlying hardware issues.

I have a K8V SE Deluxe (A different VIA motherboard) and it works decent so long
as I don't use the onboard via sata controllers, if I use those heavily and also
try to use the PVR150's things get ugly (not an immediate crash, but things
don't survive much longer than a couple of minutes), so it could be a crash, I
would try the above command from run level 3 (no X windows) and see if the
kernel prints out anything-if it is a kernel crash it and it prints out
something it should print out the same thing every time, if it is a HW issues
and does print out anything the messages will typically be different each time.
  If nothing prints out usually that is more likely to be a HW issue.

                            Roger