[mythtv-users] First Time User :: Problem with Hauppauge PVR-500 (System Reboots)

Param Singh mithu.singh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 20:56:55 UTC 2008

> I have the same problem.  I have an ubuntu based backend with via chipset
> (K8M800) and a pvr500.  It was rock solid.
> This is kernel 2.6.17-10-server so I think it was ubuntu edgy.  After
> upgrading to dapper - feisy, my box rebooted after accessing ivtv.  All later
> kernels had the reboot problem.  With gutsy it was stable for a few days and
> then it rebooted.
>
> So my backend is ubuntu hardy with a very old kernel and ivtv 0.7.4, but it is
> rock solid.

I will try to get hands on 2.6.17 and see if i can use that on my
current mythbuntu.

However, Can a different kernel version fix hardware problem as John
mentioned its a DMA problem in VIA chipset, isnt there a so called
'hardware abstraction layer' ...I was thinking this would require more
of a BIOS level update/upgrade.

Thanks

~Param