[mythtv-users] Channel change misses 20% of the time, can I do USB to USB?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 15:19:12 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Paul <openletter at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm having problems with my updated hardware getting the channels changed correctly using my commandir. About 20% of the time the DirecTV HIRMD-E2 doesn't see one of the channel digits, so MythTV records one hour of channel 34 instead of 354, or channel 50 instead of 501, etc.
>
> I set the delay time in the channel changing script to 1.2 seconds, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. The setup worked fine before I upgraded from an old Athlon XP (32 bit) to a new AMD 64 2.2 GHz, with totally fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> So I'm thinking I can solve the problem by by replacing the HIRMD-E2 with an H20-600 and using the USB port. But the problem is that I need to use my one serial port for the UPS as I have frequent power outage issues where I live (12 power outages last January).
>
> Is there a way to use LIRC by just going USB to USB instead of USB to serial?
>
> Or is there something else I can do to fix the channel change problem?

Yes.

I use a USB-to-Serial->Null Modem cable->Serial-to-USB cable to
connect my  computer to my H20.

The H20 only understands a subset of the various USB/Serial adapters
out there.  Mine uses the PL2303 chip.

I bought the USB/Serial adaptor at directron and the Null Modem cable
at monoprice.

Of course, you should read the wiki:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial

John