[mythtv-users] Playback of HDTV, HDHomeRun

Eric (MythTV) eric-mythtv at skoozdag.com
Sat Jul 19 00:27:42 UTC 2008

Richard Shaw wrote:
> I would be wary of bittorrent only because you don't know if the file
> has been modified in some way... I agree that knowing the CPU would
> tell us a lot but I've also seen large discrepancies on
> hardware/software combinations. Some people have perfect playback and
> others can not get it to work on "the same hardware".
>
> Richard

Well, I thought about just asking about the CPU .. but I've seen
discrepancies, some people being able to get it to work and others with
the same hardware not.  So I was a little worried about such.  :)  Thats
why I just thought I would try a sample.  But that might not be such a
good idea either, it seems.

However, things have gotten interesting with my Myth box over the past
24 hours.  I've never been able to get AMD's cool-n-quiet working on the
motherboard in there, even though its supposed to support it.  I checked
on the manufacturers website and theres a bios update that fixes the
cool-n-quiet issue.  I've flashed probably hundreds of machines over the
  past decade, and never once had a problem.  Until last night.  It said
the bios update took, but the machine appears completely bricked now.

The machine *was* an Athlon64 3200+ (2.0ghz), which I had read a post
from someone saying they were able to playback 720p content on.  I never
was able to get it to work.  But it might not be an issue now, as I'm
going to have to buy new hardware, anyway...

The mythbox is back up and running with what used to be my desktop
machine, and I'm on my laptop for the time being.  The new myth box is
an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (2.8ghz).  The sample h.264 content I had
downloaded, I *am* able to play... so I feel confident Ill be able to
play any over-the-air HD stuff I record, when I get a HDHomeRun or
equivalent.

I think what I am going to purchase is going to be the new 65nm, 45w
2.5ghz AMD 4850e, I believe is the model.  Combine that with a
motherboard with the 780g AMD chipset, with HDMI onboard...  I'm hoping
this 2.5ghz chip would still be enough power, for the new Myth box.

Sorry for the ramble... Its been a crappy 24 hours. :)

--Eric