[mythtv-users] "Cars" dvd crashes internal DVD player to desktop

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 20:14:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:44 PM, qwerty byrd <qwertybyrd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running MythDora 5, and when I try to play the Disney DVD "Cars" using
> the internal dvd player, it successfully plays all of the commercials and
> such, then crashed Mythfrontend to the desktop when it gets to the movie. I
> am able to play the dvd in the same machine using vlc.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem with this dvd? Is there a solution?
>
> Any assistance is appreciated!

A LOT of the Linux DVD player applications have this sort of problem.
Talking to the xine guys a few times over the years it's generally
caused by bad error detection and handling in the DVD support
libraries. It's gotten much better, but there are still problems when
a DVD has the odd scratch. Commercial players keep spinning the disk
and eventually find the next frame/whatever, but often the Linux apps
don't work that well when faced with this sort of problem.

Question: What happens if you play the same DVD using xine? (Or maybe mplayer)

- Mark