[mythtv-users] MythTV and BitTorrent?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jul 18 17:15:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 08:44:34AM -0700, Kevin Bailey wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:02:56AM -0400, Carlos Javier Borroto wrote:
> >
> > I think pointing to a project like Miro[1], may give an idea of what
> > people like Will and also myselft will love to see in MythTV.
>
> Optimally, you'd want to tell myth that you like... American
> Idol and it would magically show up. Isn't that what the
> mythical media box would do ?
>
> Making it a plug-in would be an easy way for an outside group
> to add it to myth without adding culpability, but I'd think
> you'd want this in the back-end and I don't know if it can
> have plug-ins.

    MythTV is a completely open system. That's why the notion of
embedding this stuff (DeCSS or BT) is just so remarkably silly.
You can keep the media server of your choice blissfully unaware
of where your stuff comes from. Infact, with the commercial
offerings this is probably your only option.

    A couple of stored procedures to handle migrating data in
and out of videos or recordings could be helpful and make things
cleaner (and less prone to break in new versions) but it's not
really necessary. So moving data in and out of Myth could easily
be done in an automated fashion.

    Or you could not bother.

    None of the stuff that sits in my mythvideo folder came to that
location through any facility in MythTV. Some of it is sort of
"out of scope" and other stuff is just a matter of me not really
liking the interfaces provided by MythTV.