[mythtv-users] MythTV and BitTorrent?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 16:32:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Jos Hoekstra <joshoekstra at gmx.net> wrote:

> R. G. Newbury schreef op 18-7-2008 17:19:
> > Phil Bridges wrote:

> >> What part of *on his mailing list* do you not get?
> >
> > Are YOU going to step up and put your money on the line if the devs get
> > sued?
> >
> > Geoff
> >

> Only if it's for something related to mythtv, not for Reiser-like things ;)
> That's why I like mythtv, the way it's built doesn't stop you from
> building your own plugin. If you want it, build it, just don't expect it
> to be in the supported packages.
>
> The whole subject itself is like answerring the same question over and
> over again, earlier answers can be found by searching via gossamer:
>

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=mythtv&do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=bittorrent&search_type=AND

The funny thing for me is that there are great P2P legit sources of content:
Miro, Vuze, Joost to name a few, but why can't you run them on MythTV?  Oh,
that's right, because none of them have a Linux client or have one that
provides a good 10-ft way to control it.

Truly, it is very easy to set up these or other P2P applications to download
content.  It is a minor thing even to script something to take that content
and put it where MythTV can see it.  The pieces are all in place now and
nothing stops anyone from doing it.  Sure, it would be nice to have a MythTV
interface to manage all that, but really, it's a set and forget type
activity that could just as easily be done away from the TV.  Why not rattle
the cage of Miro (another open source project) to provide a simple MythTV
plugin and integrate their system?  You could ask Joost but they don't even
have a Linux client, neither does Vuze.

It's not like you can't do it, you just want a nice pretty face on it.
Welcome to open source :)

Kevin